Posted by: Anon | 2009-03-27

Struggeling to get pregnant

Dear Doc,

I am 29 and have been off Femodene for 1.5 years. We have been actively trying to conceive for about 5 months. Three of which i was on a light fertility drug prescribed by my gynae. The main reason for going on the treatment is because my normal periods are very irregular and therefore difficult to pinpoint ovulation. After my last month of the 3 on the treatment, i thought i was pregnant, but a test 2 weeks after my " normal"  time, showed negative. I got my periods 42 days after the previous cycle.

Things that i only discovered in the last 2 months though, is that i should not get up immediately after intercourse!? We usually hit straight for the bath &  shower.

The last time i even tried lying on my back for about 30min with a cushion beneath my bum and my legs in the air. (Advice i got.)

Since i am trying very hard to be " responsible"  and therefore reduced my alcohol intake to nearly 0, switched to decaf coffee (1 cup a day) and avoiding Feta &  other soft cheeses, biltong, etc. It is extremely frustrating to end up with a negative result and the end of each month, while sacrificing all the regular " social"  things.

How dangerous are these things, alcohol (taken moderately), feta, biltong, etc in the first couple of weeks when you do not know if you are pregnant or not?

Is it best to just go on like normal and once you get a positive result, adjust your life style?

I know in order to increase our chances, we should have sex every 2 - 3 days, but this is not always possible.

My main reason for not going back to my gynae yet, is that i do not want to take a stronger fertility drug and with that increase the chances of getting more than 1 child.

What advise do you have for me?

Avoid alcohol, but the biltong and feta are okay. If your periods are irregular , you are probaby not ovulating. You don't say what drug you were given, but it does not seem to be helping with this. You can have a blood test to check ovulation.

Posted by: s | 2009-03-27

Hi, I know how it feels like, but my doc told me that one of the advantages of taking fertomid is that u can have multiple pregnancy. Well it did not work for me so I' m off the drug. Try it ,it helped others. And good luck. But just pray for a healthy baby it doesn' t matter if its not twins.

Reply to s
Posted by: J | 2009-03-27

I too had/have very irregular peroids, once every 2-3 months when not on contraception. We just relaxed and enjoyed trying. It took me 10 months to conceive. My mother joked back then that we actually only tried 3 times if you take in account my cycle. It happened when we didn' t try at all and sort of forgot about the whole idea. But I know how you feel, having to wait and test every month. Btw, we got pregnant with twins, no twins in the families or fertility treatments, lol. It is not really up to us to decide how many or when. I would say if things don' t happen after a year, explore treatments then. Good luck and njoy the whole experience of getting pregnant.

Reply to J