Posted by: Patricia | 2009-09-18

Strong abdominal pain

I have problems almost everyday for 9 years. I' ve had ultrasounds to the stomach and kidneys and everything was fine. I also tried anti-worm medicine, but no results. Doctors say this pain must be caused by psychological conditions, such as nervousness. The truth is that I' m in an on and off state of depression, I wouldn' t even say it' s depression, but I do get really down on some days and even get self-destructive. However, the stomach problems occur much more often than the psychological ones. I was wondering if this could be some problem with the acids/fluids in the intestine that cause me too much gas, which is causing this terrible pain. Or is it possible that a hernia I had in the past healed in a way that caused folds in the intestine and it' s now getting infected quite often? A spot in my rectrum hurts a lot more than anything else, so could it be it? Or maybe the appentix, if it was on the wrong side? I don' t know what to do, I keep looking for answers but doctors don' t want to try any further. The condition gets so much worse when I run or even sometimes when I walk. It' s like those activities cause the gas to increse like crazy. It affects my job and some think I' m just lazy. But the strangest thing is that swimming is the only miraculous way to get better really fast. If I get in the pool with a stomachache, it is gone in a few minutes. The same doesn' t happen if I just lie in the bathtub, though. But lying in general is still much better than standing. I even wonder if I have a weird body shape that makes it hard for gas to come out when standing, thus making gas accumulate until I go to bed. Oh, and I have hemoroids too. I have constipation more often than not but it' s not too severe, I think. I still go to the washroom once a day. But I get bladder infections because of the bloating.

I' d be so happy if you could help me or make some suggestions maybe.. Anything is of great importance to me. This is so much suffering. Sometimes I can' t even work.

I suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist for further examination and a possible gastroscopy and colonoscopy, to rule out any underlying pathology. I also suggest that you consult a psychiatrist to assist you in getting your anxiety and depression under control.

Treating the depression will be of utmost importance, as all your symptoms, especially the chronic abdominal pain, constipation, constant bloating and flatulence, can all be stress related.

Swimming is a great non-stressful exercise. I think the endorphines released while swimming, is the reason for the pain subsiding. It is a good idea to include swimming on a daily basis as part of your daily exercise.

Unfortunately, there is no over the counter medication that I can suggest.