Posted by: Azure | 2011-11-07

stroke aid volunteering

hi cyberdoc. hoping you can point me in the right direction. in 2006 my mom had a stoke that paralysed her. due to lack of medical care (we couldnt afford pvt care and she was admitted to a public hospital where she wasnt cared for - literally) anyway, 2 years later she passed away. i would like to find out if there are any societies (like CANSA) for stroke sufferers and their families - who need volunteers, etc. i''ve tried stroke aid but it does not seem that they are running any longer. then stroke society and their website does not show they need any support. Unlike the CANSA site that is geared towards volunteers, etc. do you have any suggestions? i dont have any medical skills but surely they need lay people who can help. many just want money. i was hoping to make a more sustainable contribution.

I suggest that you contact your nearest hospice and ask them if you can provide any assistance.