Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2009-05-14

Stroke

There is something that is bothering me a lot and I' m hoping you can shed some light on it. In the news recently there was reports of Angus Buchan, a religious preacher that had a stroke on stage, while preaching. He then went to a hospital and was miracoulously cured and the hospital couldn' t find anything wrong with him. He was diagnosed by his daughter that is a nurse, and paramedics.

Well, I have two friends that had strokes, but both of them had to go for tests before a stroke was diagnosed. And from what I' ve heard it was quite intensive testing. Before that the doctors couldn' t say what was wrong.

Is it possible that they could diagnose a stroke so easily?

Dear Jenny
One can suspect a diagnosis of a stroke with a clinical diagnosis (looking at signs and symptoms) but we usually follow up with a brain scan and doppler examination of the neck to confirm the diagnosis. Some places do not have MRI and doppler facilities and then a patient would be treated as if it is a stroke. Bloods are usually drawn to test for bleeding tendencies, cholesterol etc.