Posted by: stressed | 2013-02-18

stressed teacher!

I feel like I might loose it soon enough . I am generally a very patient, calm, warm, soft-hearted and diligent person, but lately I am only frustrated, impatient and emotional due to stress at work.
I am a teacher at a remedial school for learners with ADHD/ADD and learning problems. Some learners also have emotional problems due to difficulties in their families and social environment, which causes behavioral problems and children who challenge authority. No matter how much I try to motivate them, how much I try to make lessons interesting, to " put myself in their shoes" , to enforce rules VERY strictly, to reward good behavior and to punish bad behavior, to phone parents, give detention etc etc etc...these learners just DON''T HAVE ANY RESPECT, CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS AND COMMON DECENCY. The other teachers continuously say that they are taking chances because I am young (25 years old) and they are teenagers. But I don''t want to hide behind my age. I am qualified , skilled and I love teaching. I don''t WANT them to pull me down, but lately it''s becoming too much. I am frustrated ALL the time, I take it out on my husband , which is not right. I don''t feel motivated anymore to do effort with lesson planning, I can''t sleep and I live for weekends! Currently, I am looking for another job at a " mainstream"  (not remedial) school, but the other teachers told me that every school has behavior problems and challenging learners? I don''t know if that''s true, because I''ve never been to other schools? My question is: Are ALL children disrespectful and challenging? (believe me, I even considered not having children one day, but I know that is an " extreme"  thought)

Teaching, like medicine, isn't an easy profession at the best of times, and working with specifically difficult and troubled kids is even more wearying. They may have specific learning dificulties, but that's not really any excuse for bad manners and lack of consideration or respect for others. That's the parents task to imbue that in them. Schools dealing with such difficult kids should always provide proper expert backup and advice, and general emotional support for their teachers. NOT all kids are disrepsectful, and they're not constantly challenging.
And if there's just one kid at a time presenting any teaching challenges, that's much easier to cope with than a whole classroom full of difficult kidfs who've had lots of opportunity to learn to be difficult. It'd probably be wise to get a job with ordinary kids, to recover your vocational spirits, before tackling only difficult ones. And maybe they're right that you're a bit young to be dealing with OLDer difficult kids - they find it harder to respect someone close to their own age, however skilled.
And meantime, I like R's point of finding just one kid who might respond to your attention and sympathy.

Posted by: R | 2013-02-19

Whew, must be tough You need time-out - to regroup your thoughts and emotions.
I have young children and am trying my best to raise them well, but I hope they will not absorb bad behavior from their peers, although this always happens, and we need to correct this at home.
Can you not find one child with whom to work that would appreciate what you''re doing and try his best to please you?
Children do thrive on pleasing adults they love and look up to.
There is always one special child you can devote a little more attention and effort to that will make a difference to your day.
One child that you believe will achieve great things one day.
I can''t imagine what your days are like, but I do believe you are in this profession for a very special reason, and that makes you a special perosn.

Reply to R