Posted by: Jane | 2009-08-25

Stressed out

Hi Doc,

I am so stressed out, i cant make it through one month with my salary

I pay: School- R830.00
medical aid R1100.00
Cell phone contract R340.00
I borrowd R2000.00 From work for medical reasons and pay back R150.00 per month
Other debt R500.00
That is R4720.00
I get paid R4300 Into my account, I am short R420.00 every month And then there is small everyday stuff like bread, if my child needs meds and the medical aid does not pay ect. ect

I am sooo stressed out, i have no life because i cant go out with friends one weekend in a month cos i have no money, i cant spoil my child to anything, i have to borrow money from work every month and i cant see where to cut down, i need help, i am sufering from depression and anxiety and this situation is just making everything worse

Please help me!!!!
Thank you in advance
I am 24yrs old

Good suggestions from Garfield and Zee. Also check with your bank as they should have someone who can work with youj and advise on handling your debt and working out a budget that would be more affordable. And a child does not really need to be spoiled wih costly things, rather than with love, which comes free.
And check with the Maintenance Court --- the child's father can be compelled to pay maintenance for the child he fathered.

Posted by: Jane | 2009-08-25

Thanks alot Zee, will keep your e mail with me and good luck to you too

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Zee | 2009-08-25

Well that could be a good start.
If ever you need to chat then feel free to mail me.
I totally understand what you going through right now and I know how frustrating it is.
Good Luck

Reply to Zee
Posted by: Jane | 2009-08-25

I read a few things on the internet, cant i do like those avon rep jobs in my own time? just to earn extra cash, i know it wont be much but it can mean the diffrence between being under every month and breaking even at least?

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Zee | 2009-08-25

That is sad!
So sorry man!
The only other thing to do is do find a weekend job perhaps?
Cant she claim from Third party or something like that, is ther not some kind of fund for mother like this?

Also why not move back in with your parents?
Saving them from paying your rent and using that money perhaps on your child?
Im sure they would not mind that and would love to spend more time with their grandchild?
Do not feel bad about whatever help your parents give you, I think they would be only too happy to assist you where they can. contact I think you can only change your plan once your current contract is over.

Reply to Zee
Posted by: Jane | 2009-08-25

Thanks for your replies

Well i do need the cell phone, its the only phone i have if emergancies do happen, My child is 4yrs old and unfortunatly her daddy was in a accident and therefor he is not with us anymore.

My child is not doing anything extra at school, i would love her to do something like dancing but cannot aford

My parents help where they can with rent but cant always pay the full amount of rent for me and i already feel bad that they are doing this for me

Is it possible that i can just alter my cell contract to pay less?

Reply to Jane
Posted by: Zee | 2009-08-25

Hi Jane!

How old is your child?
Firstly I was thinking... Well first I need to say that I am in the same position that you are in, not enough money and so are many others so don' t feel alone.

That said I wanted to ask you why(it dsnt sound like he is) the father of your child is not supporting... Even if he is not in your lives he by law should support his child!
Also school fees can be reduced if you cannot afford it,you can enquire at the school.

Also you might want to be looking for another job that pay beter.This is a mission right now but you never know your luck.
If you wana chat though you can mail me.
zee dot help 4you at gmail dot com
This would at least make things abit easier for you.
Aslo i hope CS does not sugest scraping the cell contract because you will have to pay even more to cancel that to continue the contract, just do not upgrade once it ends.

Reply to Zee
Posted by: Garfield | 2009-08-25

Do you know any people with kids in your area? Perhaps you could babysit for extra money during weekends?

This wouldn' t interfere with your child/life if you cant go out much at the moment and may be able to better fianancially bolster you? You could maybe put up in an ad in local stores in your area?

What about revising living condtions ... sharing with aother single Mom ... cheaper to feed 4 people than 2 becuase of the volumes stuff is sold in nowadays?

Re spoiling your child, what about free stuff like parks/walks/quality time ... it may help you to feel a bit better getting out in the fresh hour and having some fun with your chld.

What about going through your house and selling any clothes/shoes etc that you may no longer require to squash some of the medical debt that you have?

I hope you feel better soon and that this all comes right for you - just remember, this rough time WILL pass, although it may not feel like it now.

Reply to Garfield