Posted by: Mary | 2009-03-28

Stressed out !

Hi Doc .
I dont know what to do , I am 30y old married with 2 kids , I just started in my new job (total carreer change but I worket hard for this from sales to supply chain) , now I started last year with part time studies (nat dip) since I have no formal univ degree I never got the oppertuanety to study after shcool , Doc my work is so hectic and I somethimes only come home after 6pm , then have to help the kids with shcool work (whilst hubby cooks - he helps with the household duties - HE IS GREAT !!) mentally I am tired but at the same time I feel chased to complete my studies in order to " get somewhere" , I have nightmares about this , my body is also telling me I am not coping with the stress cause I now get fever blisters and it feels as if my brain is not swithcing off , repeating things that happened at work and the studys .......correspondance is so difficult and I feel like a failure and dissapointed in myslef, I have searched the internet to look for the eve. class option but this wont work either (6-10pm Mo-Thu) Maybe I should take some shorter courses , get some qualification behind me as I complete them and then not feel so stressed out about this , but then sit with this block in mind that the certificates will not be regocnised in the industry (Supply chain).......
Do you have any advice for me ?

Any new job is stressful, at least until one builds a good working routine ; and add to that the task of looking after the children, etc., AND studies --- even Wonderwoman would be stressed to at least some degree. Don't blame yourself for that. Good to hear that your husband helps with chores like the cooking. Finishing your studies is clearly a good idea, but not if it makes you feel pressured and harrassed ( by yourself !) --- you've already Got somewhere, and will get some other wheres, not necessarily because of completing that course. Nothing about you is a failure, though I understand that because you set yourself such ambitious goals, especially regarding simple matters of time, that you may sometimes feel that way. I'd recommend counselling, but fear that would add a time problem to your already packed schedule.
Explore your idea about adding shorter courses --- and they may include material that due to overlap could make a later more major course easier and quicker.
But do check whether the certificates will be recognized, as they wouldb't be of much use if they weren't
Come Monday, other readers tend to return in bulk, and may have other helpful comments to add