Question
Posted by: GAP | 2008/10/21

Stressed out

You said in your reply to my last posting that I seem determind to fail at treatment and that is just my problem: I feel as if I have failed at so many things in my life that this whole assestment is just going to be another failure!!! I know that my thinking this is not right but I just see myself as a failure..... I always feel I have to adchive more but then don' t manage to do what I set out to adchive and therefore I have failed and so it goes on and on. And yes my negative attitude to meds probably also has something to do with me giving up on them too quickly. Well so far I have not cancelled my appointment with the shrink, so that is a step in the right direction I think.

Thank you.

If you start by assuming you will fail, and almost ought to fail --- you really have loaded the dice against yourself, haven't you ? Would it represent some odd sort of success, to fail ? This is exactly where CBT counselling, done properly could be so powerful --- you hacve a strong negative habit of thought, assuming you are a failure and
are destined to fail, and expecting to fail. Such bad habits one can learn to change. Maybe some of the goals you set for yourself are unrealistically high ; maybe you have a habit of self-sabotage. All meds have maximum side-effects in the first couple of weeks, before their benefits are obvious to you.
Pleased to hear you will keep your appointment with the shrink --- work with him/ her and make this time a success.