Question
Posted by: Ja | 2010-09-13

Stressed Cat

I have a cat about 8 years old. I got her about 3 years ago. She is a classic scardy cat. She lived with a lovely family, the lady even worked at a vet as receptionist. However because of the amount of other animals this poor cat was very stressed out and when I received her had no hair on her tummy - she pulled it out due to stress.

Recently, I''ve had money issues and had to sublet my flat and move to another place where they do not accept cats. A couple from the Church offered to sponsor her for months (I still pay for her food) until I get myself sorted out.

I went to visit yesterday, and was shocked to notice that she again does not have hair on her tummy and her fleabites are horrific. They have given her flea teablets now (apparently she and the other cat eventually started tollerating one another and are now playing in he sand outside).

There is a two year old child that I think is freaking out my cat - my cat is apparently hissing at her when she gets too close. But other than that she sleeps with the older daugher on her bed etc.

I am just very sad that it had to get to this stage where she can''t live with me - and the obvious hairloss - result from stress (or could it be something else?)

Please help

Hi Ja

The hairloss can be due to an allergy (flea allergy dermatitis) but also stress. The distibution of hairloss and the condition of the skin will give an indication as to what the problem is. If the problem is fleas then treat accordingly (Frontline/Advantage/Stronghold) ensuring that the environment is treated as well.
Stress is more difficult to treat as you must try and identify what the stress factors are and then try and resolve the problem - it may be advisable to use behavioural modifiers.

2
Posted by: Cat Lover | 2010-09-15

Hi there another option is to give your cat some catnip. Most cats are afraid of young children that don''t know how to be gentle around cats. I have two with opposite personalities. The male who is seven tolorates the dogs and young children but not when he is having an off day. The younger one a female does not like strangers. Whenever I move i used to give them catnip and just talk to them in a soothing voice in order to calm them.

Reply to Cat Lover
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-14

Hi Ja

Reply to CyberVet