Posted by: S. | 2009-03-04

stress, nervousness and depression

I am not sure what is wrong with me I visited a website and did a questionaire the results indicated that I might have an acute stress disorder, I do have all of the symptoms mentioned - for example insomnia, extreme fatigue, skin reactions due to nervousness, I'  m jumpy, moody and my life is quite miserable due to this, I'  m in my early 20'  s and I can'  t live like this. I can think rationally, I can act quite normal in public but I do have a serious problem with stress, nervousness and depression. What can I do? Who can I see? How can I be sure - I'  m even scared of seeing a specialist regarding my problem.

Be cool, S. There's no reason to be scared of seeing a specialist, who could only help you. One needs to be cautious in interpreting the results of online questionnaires. An Acute Stress Disorder is a very specific condition which only occurs early on, following exposure to a very major, life-threaening stress experience --- so if you haven't recently been through an earthquake, hijacking, or war, you do not have an Acute Stress Reaction. Good.
There are very many different possible causes of insomnia, and fatigue, including anxiety disorder and depression. Skin reactions usually have other auses than nervousness, but can be related. But though te questionnaire isn't a useful guide, your description of your symptoms sounds as though depression and/or anxiety disorder is possible. The ONLY way to be sure is to see at least a really good GP, best to see a specialist Psychiatrist, for a thorough assessment and diagnosis, and a discussion of treament choices. Medication could be really useful, and almost certain to be helpful would be a special form of pychotherapy / counselling called CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy.
There's nothing a specialis could do that would be worth fearing --- they can only talk assess, and advise.

Posted by: paddington bear | 2009-03-04

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is supposed to work wonders, then
there are the psychiatric drug options to reduce the symptoms however
the main thing to realise is that there was an event or maybe more than
one event in your life that you have still not overcome or recovered from
this may have been a form of trauma - often there is a deep seated wound
in the subconcious that causes most mental illnesses. you need to seek it out
accept it forgive and heal.

try to avoid alcohol in large quantities this wont help, but a low dose of THC
good help you .... safe sex is also good and helps :-)

Reply to paddington bear