Question
Posted by: Stranger | 2009-11-16

Stress, loss of interest

Hi Mr/Ms Cybershrink

I am exhausted, I have 2 kids one is 20 months and one is 6 months. I am a single parent because their decided to take the same door she used to come in. I am trying hard to keep a level head and provide a stable home for my kids. I refuse to ask mommy for help because that will mean giving away my responsibilites. I live in Centurion and work in Sandton meaning about 3 hours on the road everyday at the most. I dont want to move because I need to focus on paying my bond.

I feel overwhelmed by all life responsibilities such that I at times ask myself why am I still alive. Not that I would kill myself no, I love my kids and want to see them grow.

The work front is frustrating ever since I cam back on maternity leave it is like everyone is ignoring me, I feel irrelevant. I have a new job to start in January but I don' t want to put my hope on the new job, I know something is wrong and I need help.

Do you think I am depressed.

Ms ? Not usually.
Life gets exhausting at times, and having one, let alone 2 kids, can promote exhaustion pretty well. But it doesn't have to be thus.
You could be simply exhausted, or indeed there might be a depression which could repond usefully to treatment with medication and/or CBT counselling.
You may be partially trapped by your own assumptions which are not always helpful. YOu can, and you deserve to, ask for and receive help from others, without surrendering your independence, responsibilities and freedom.
I presume you use a car to get to work rather than walking - that is using an agency, a facility, and available source of help, sensibly rather than insisting on doing it all on your own in a way that would actually damage your ability to do what you need to get done.

2
Posted by: lala | 2009-11-17

Maybe not depressed, but certainly stressed.
Geez, just reading this post made me tired and yet you physically do this everyday!
I take my hat off to you.
All I can say is try to set out about 10mins for yourself and let your mind roam.
I was reading this article on some of the most successful people who take breaks so their minds can relax and they become more creative in problem solving and with new ideas, etc.

Take that break. A little helps a LOT. Wow, has anybody told you latetely that they' re proud of you for coping so far with this hectic schedule.

Also remember... life is to be enjoyed, so try find even little things to be grateful for. The more you appreciate, the more you get.

Reply to lala

Ms ? Not usually.