Question
Posted by: Runner | 2010/06/16

Stress fracture

Hi there Cyberdoc

i " apparently"  have a hip stress fracture (i say apparently because i dont have MRI evidence, but my sports physician said i have the clinical signs): i know that pain = weight bearing, but just this morning i felt pain in my hip while i was in bed. Is this normal? I saw my physician just under a month ago. I used to (before this) run long distances. I''m 26 and a female. Athlete''s triad was mentioned, but my question is whether a stress fracture can also be felt during non-weight bearing.

thks

Dear Runner
Most patients with stress fractures of the hip feel pain in the front of the groin while standing and moving. It is usually not painful when not weight bearing. Treatment of a hip stress fracture is taking weight off the hip - i.e. walking with crutches to give it time to heal which can take 5-6 weeks. Shouldn't you rather go for a scan?

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/06/16

Dear Runner