Question
Posted by: Bozo | 2009-07-08

Stress ECG .............

I went for a stress ECG at my GP for a policy medical.

I' m 47 years old and are a bit overweight around the middle , but not for long, as I am running for exercise and eating more healthy.Been doing this for about 4 weeks prior to the ECG.

After my stress ECG the Gp' s comment was that this is a very good ECG reading.

I would like to know what exactly does an ECG measure and if I had a good one what does it mean ?????

Hi Bozo

Strictly speaking, an ECG is measuring the electrical activity that is generated within the heart as it goes through its normal heart cycle. That is, your heart contracts to pump blood because electrical impulses are sent to the muscles from a little area called the sino-atrial node in the heart. Without getting into the dry physiology, if there is a problem with the ECG readings, it means that there is an abnormality in how the electrical impulse is being conducted and spread throughout the heart.

Some people, for example, have a misfiring or a block in conduction and this is picked up on an ECG. If a person has a good ECG result, it means there is no sign of any abnormality or problem with the electrical conduction in the heart. That is obviously a good sign. There are some conditions that can be undectable, even with an ECG, but generally, an ECG is used to check whether it is safe for a person to exercise. In your case, it clearly is and so you've got the green light for training!