Question
Posted by: KO | 2010/10/11

Stress causes unattractive rash

I have quite a stressful job at a media company. In between dealing with contributors who never send their work in on time, working on about 3 to 4 different issues of a magazine at the same time (all in different stages of completion and having to keep all the threads together and the process running smoothly), dealing with salespeople who are rude, pushy and inconsiderate, dealing with a colleague who doesn''t focus on her work and carrying her for a large part of the way (a situation my manager is aware of but has not been able to correct in 2 years) and then the normal stresses of admin I find myself really struggling to stay calm and beat the stress.
I have become quite moody and I''m tired all the time. I also get a very noticeable red rash over my neck and arms when i get a bit emotional, stressed, irritated or flabbergasted (which is often). I don''t know quite how to manage all if this and have noticed other symptoms - I am hot all the time and wake up about 6 times every night.
What can I do to beat this? I had a kidney removed last year and although my other kidney is functioning very well I don''t want this stress to affect my health negatively.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear KO,
Your stressful job is clearly already having a negative impact on your health. My suggestion is that you need to find intervention immediately.

One patient from a media corp recently found cancer he claimed was caused by the work in media. So please please find intervention. How is your diet, do you exersize often, do you sleep deeply each night? These are the basics!

Equally NB! Do you have a practice of meditation, prayer, yoga or anything that mindfully engages your Relaxation Response?

If not you need more support. Please reply and we can find the right intervention for you.

Warmest
Justin

2
Posted by: KO | 2010/10/14

Hi Justin,

Thank you for your reply, i really do appreciate it. I do not currently have any of the interventions yo mentioned besides meditation. I do not sleep well at all (I wake up about 2 to 4 times a night, particularly in the early morning, and then struggle to go back to sleep). I am very aware of the negative impact stress has on one''s health and would like to know how I can learn to manage this. My diet is healthy and balanced (losing a kidney really makes you look at this) but I''m not the most active person in the world. I would like to start doing some kind of exercise though and think pilates would benefit me most physically. What are your thoughts?

Reply to KO
Posted by: Stress Reduction Expert | 2010/10/11

Dear KO,

Warmest
Justin

Reply to Stress Reduction Expert