Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010-10-18

Stress and Weight loss

I have been through an extremely traumatic week. In this week i have lost between 3-4kg''s, but that''s because i was not eating at all. I however have got my appetitie back a little, but stressing that my body is now going to store whatever i eat. I am over weight and can afford to lose another 20kg''s. I go to gym, but have not had the strength this past week as i have not eaten.
I started smoking again becos of the stress and hope to kick it by this afternoon as i''m hating it, and i can feel my breathing has gone backwards.
Do i just carry on the way i was before and hope like hell my body doesn''t put it back again with more.

I need to be strong for my my family, but don''t want to be scared to eat at the same time.

Hi Lee

I don't think it will - losing 3 to 4 kg in one week is a lot, yes, but it's not all "physiological" in that the time frame is too short for it to have longer lasting effects on your body. A lot of it will be water loss, actue weight loss that will immediately correct itself. So I think you'll find that your metabolic rate, which is one of hte main determinants of weight loss, will be unaffected.

Given that you have 20kg to lose, I think it's important to be thinking long-term, to give it time and realise that the last week, while not ideal (from a stress point of view) is not going to make or break your success.

So stick with the long term plan, you'll be OK. Obviously, the smoking and stress are unwelcome, and have to be dealt with, but don't worry about your body - this is a long-distance race, not a sprint, so be patient and get back into the groove as soon as you can!

Ross