Posted by: Jax | 2009-07-17

Stress and sore throat

Dear DR

Ive got a question, i stopped smoking 3 months ago, i know the side effects was the dry throat, now thats gone but i still got like a sore throat when swallong especially when eating.

I' m eating healthy now and drink lots of vitamins and even excersising alot, my Gp says on two stages there is nothing wrong with my throat aswell as my ENT. i lost 10kg' s quickly.

But why do i still get this pain when swallowing, i do have this white hairy tongue with fine red dots on it, i know i dont have HIV. And my gums are a bit sore and swolen cheeks, i have no swolen glands or lymps.

My question is because i keep on stressing about stuff like throat cancer and stuff happening in my life lately, does stress effect your throat?

What can i do about it? I am actually seeing another GP on monday to maybe prescribe some relaxing medicine, i do have a high blood pressure.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jax
You are clearly worried about the possibility of throat cancer, and there is a strong link between thraot cancer and smoking. To diagnose why you have difficulty in swallowing, you would need a laryngoscopy, performed by an ENT surgeon. This envolves looking at the larynx (voice box) under direct vision, as cancer that originates in this area is usually visible on examination. If no tumour is seen, one would look for other causes of swallowing difficulties.
Regarding your tongue, confirming your HIV status is essential, then other causes should be excluded such as Candida.
I suggest you see an ENT surgeon to look at these conditions, as treatment is dependent on the cause, an will be different in all these scenarios.