Question
Posted by: liz | 2009-04-07

stress about work

i am working at the co for 8 yrs when i was employed i was told my hrs of work was 8:30 to 5pm now with new management they requested a meeting with all staff saying that office hours are 8-5. i checked with my boss she said it changed even saying her hrs were ther same as mine but changed when the company' s name changed- we received new contracts but i checked and the new contract clearly states that everything from my original contract remains the same even referring to the old co name , but then they do not stipulate the hours this was a verbal agreement &  nothing was said about my hours until now ? some of the newer staff that started after me working hrs are 8-5 hrs. I am really stressed about this as i had no idea employers can change hrs when they felt like it ?

I hope other readers can advise you based on their experience of office and work procedures. And isn't there a Labour Law forum here on H24 now ? I suspect there's an issue here that in effect the new guys are new employers, offering you a new contractm, which you would be free to reject ( along with the job ) but not bound by verbal agreements made by the former company