Question
Posted by: Marc | 2008/06/30

Strength training for the average guy

I've been training for years now. I've been a very serious weight trainer and a powerlifter.

6 Months ago I came back from a 2 year layoff. I'm trying to add some mass and bring my bodyfat down to a decent level.
I train very hard and I make sure I get 6 reasonably balanced meals a day.

I don't, howeaver, have the energy anymore to worry about the macro nutrients. I'm not planning to get on a stage anytime soon.

What I'd like to know from a professional point of view. Is it all that important for the average guy trying to stay in shape and add some muscle to worry about the finer points?
Protein, carb, fat percentages. Post-workout protein.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Marc

Yes, it is important. You have to calculate your calorie need and split that into a 40,40,20 split or a 50, 30, 20 split. Make sure that 2/3 of your fat intake is good fats – they are natural fat burners. Also you will need to increase you intake with about 15% extra calories to add sufficient muscle and yes it is important to take a liquid meal post-exercise – not just only protein, but a carb also.

If you are not going to partake in competitions you won’t have to be that pedantic about the exact amount, but to show some value for your effort try and keep the regime more or less in line – in fact it actually becomes a way of life to eat that way – its good for your health!

Good luck!
Vanessa