Question
Posted by: Patrice | 2012/06/06

Streetwise

Hi, I would like to know what it means if a woman suddenly says a man is " not street wise"  enough, especially if they are in a relationship for over a year. Is it lack of respect for the man?

thanks

Whether he is or isnt, it seems a strange complaint for her to come up with after a year-long relationship.
Usually "streetwise" means being skilled at recognizing urban risks and perils and dealing with them, but I do wonder whether she even knows what it means - and if she does, why does she feel YOU need to be streewise for her, rather than developing such skills herself ?
I see it as disrespectful and unfriendly, and may be an attempt to make a excuse to sneak out of the relationship, whether or not the complaint has any accuracy.

2
Posted by: Brianne | 2012/06/06

Streetwise means having the shrewd awareness, experience, and resourcefulness needed for survival in a difficult, often dangerous urban environment - what does this woman want from you or what does she want you to be?? If she wants to be surrounded by streetwise males, maybe she should hang around in bad neighbourhoods where most people are streetwise! Yes, I would say it''s actually being disrespectful towards you especially if you are a decent, well-educated person. Does she even know what streetwise means?

Reply to Brianne