Posted by: Kay | 2009-07-09

streched ligaments

my ligaments in my right foot was stretched or broken I' m not sure now I have a reoccuring problem that my ankle just gives in without me even doing anything to put strain on it sitting and standing is hazardous as my ankle just pops in. is there anything i can do to streghnthen the ligaments again or will i have to live with the uncertainty of my anckle giving in at any time.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Kay

It may be an old injury, you might also have a condition called generalized ligamentous laxity. This means you would have hypermobile joints with an increased range of motion. This could lead to instability in the joints. If you have 'gone over' your ankles in the past there is an increased risk of it hapenning in the future. There may be something that could be done for your shoes to reduce the risk of spraining your ankles or you could wear an ankle gaurd or stap the ankle.