stray/wild cats (office)

We have stray (wild) cats at the office, not sure how many but they eat a hell of a lot of food. I found 4 kittens this morning so now there are more. Where can I buy cat food in bulk which is not too expensive. I am in the West Rand.

Dear Anon

I will involve the SPCA here and try to find home and have them neutered. Feeding them lots will only increase the stray cat population.

Posted by: jax | 2009-05-05

- on the West Rand, you might be able to get some assistance from CLAW, they are based at DRD. The best thing if possible is to do a trap/neuter/release kind of project, where the adults are trapped, sterilised and checked for major health issues (deworming too) and released again. Any kittens are rehomed. That then leaves you with a small stable number of cats that will defend their territory and stop more moving in, but that won' t be constantly increasing in number.
You' d need to be willing to help with the program though, in terms of feeding in the traps, and checking the traps daily.
Good luck, and good on you for caring about them

Reply to jax

I am in Durban, and have the same problem. I have found someone who is an expert at trapping wild cats. I have fixed one cat so far, and am gaining trust of the others. I will keep feeding them and make sure that they are all eventually fixed. I have managed to find homes for the kittens I have found. Appeal to your colleagues to donate some cat food/money towards sterlisation. I have had tremendous support at work about our stray cat population. It can be expensive but for me it is worth it.

Posted by: Carol | 2009-05-04

The reason why they are eating so much is probably because they are full of worms.

Is their any possibility you can get them all fixed??? that would prevent more litters.

I have 16 cats and the cheapest way I have found to feed then that is nutritous is a raw diet . It costs me in the region of R500 ....if you want to know more u can email me at camoller at vodamail dot co dot za

Reply to Carol