Posted by: Kirsty | 2009-02-13

Stray cat coming into house

Almost every night a stray cat comes into my house to eat my cats'  food. Sometimes this cat sprays in my house as well. This is traumatising my cats. We have tried casing the cat but it now only comes late at night when we' re asleep (I can sometimes hear it eating and by the time I get to the bowls it is gone).

Is there anything I can do to prevent this cat from coming in other than locking my cats inside which is not an option as they love being outside?

Dear Kirsty

Getting a dog for a few days sounds like a good idea.

Posted by: kirsten | 2009-02-16

You can buy an infrared cat flap - your cat would wear a collar with a " key"  that would only allow your cat access to the house. You would need to close windows etc, but it would stop the stray cat gaining access.

Another option is to find out where the cat gains access to your property and use cat repellents there - your cats would learn to avoid that place.

One thing that worked for us was to throw a bucket of water on the cat that was getting into our house - but it meant good timing catching the cat and wet floors afterwards. :)

Reply to kirsten
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-02-13

Same here Carol!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Carol | 2009-02-13

The strays that wander into my place get caught and neutered, some leave several move in .:)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-02-13

If I were you I' d keep the cats indoor at night. There are a couple of reasons for this:
1. your cats probably go into other people' s houses at night.
2. Cats are often injured at night.
3. Keeping the stray out of your house.

Just my 2 cents' 

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: lisa | 2009-02-13

i got a dog for a few days. the cat never came back. lol. no jokes.

Reply to lisa