Question
Posted by: Sue | 2011-06-07

Strattera and Ritalin

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with ADHD in Grade 1, and has been on Strattera since (now on 60mg p/day). Since the beginning of this year, her behaviour is worse, teachers complaining about her shouting out in class and disrupting etc. Her behaviour at home is not great, when we have good days they are fine, bad days are a nightmare.
I took her to her Paed (who does all her ADHD assesments) yesterday, and he says she needs to go on Ritalin 10mg p/day as well as staying on the Strattera. This doesn''t sit well with me - I left the doctors office wondering why I''d gone there.
I''m not opposed to ADHD meds, but this sounds " too much" .
Please can you tell me what you feel about this.

many thanks

OK, I'm relieved that the diagnosis was made by an experienced Paediatrician - too often I find elaborate and expensive treamtnets and interventions embarked upon on the diagnosis of unqualified teachers or ITs.
The sort of disruptive behaviour you describe is not really typical of ADHD, and there are other relavant potential diagnoses - maybe it'd be wise to arange for her to see a child psychiatrist or child psychologist for a deeper assessment and consideration of various alternative diagnoses.
Its not possible usefully to pronojnce on issues like adding Ritalin to her Strattera from a distance ; only someone with the full and detailed story and a detailed personal assessment of the child, can do so usefully.

1