Question
Posted by: Col | 2011/02/01

Strange Virus

Hi - I''m very confused about the kind of virus I may have. Last Wednesday I went with my husband to the Radiologists (situated in a hospital) for him to have an Isotope MIBI Cardiac Scan, and the entire procedure took +- 6 hours. I don''t know whether I possibly picked up a virus at the hospital but since last Wednesday afternoon I have been having the following symptoms: Fever on and off (usually between 38.2 and 38.8), a ''heavy'' head / headaches, sore bones and extreme lethargy - when I walk up one flight of stairs I seem to be out of breath! There does seem to be a virus doing the rounds in Durban at the moment but I don''t have any: vomiting, nausea or diarrhoea like other people have mentioned they have one or more of (including my symptoms). I really don''t feel sick enough to go and see my GP so should I just sit it out and see if it disappears possibly being just a virus? And wouldn''t I have a continuous fever if it is a bacterial infection? We were on holiday in the Seychelles for 4 weeks (returned on 5th January) and we were both sick with the flu and fever over there. They don''t have Malaria - I was thinking that I possibly could have something like Chikungunya but then also don''t have the flu symptoms! Is there a blood test that I can have done to see exactly what virus I have or do they only test for a specific virus? Thank-you for your advice.

Hallo Col
If you have a fever above 38 degrees you ARE sick enough to see your GP. You may have the flu - it has been doing the rounds. Your doctor may be able to confirm that you have a viral infection with a blood test but they will usually not test for a specific virus (as it is very expensive and will not make any difference in how your doctor will treat you)

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/02/01

Hallo Col