Question
Posted by: Pieter | 2011/08/25

Strange taste in mouth

Went for a oral operation 3 weeks ago. They did implants, and wanted to do a sinus lift, but could not go through with it, as I had flu 2 weeks before, and the membrane was weak.

After the operation, about a week later, I noticed that chocolate tasted funny, almost like it was burned. Later as I visited friends and tried a alcohol drink, It tasted real bad, and I had to leave it. Another week later, and it still tastes as bad.

And this has still not gone away. Chocolate does not taste as burned as it did, but still not like it used to.

Any ideas would be very welcome

Dear Pieter
The sensation of taste is made up of a combination of sensory inputs both from the taste organs in the mouth and the olfactory organs in the nose. It is possible that the implants and/or the anaesthetic and/or any medications that may have been prescribed post-operatively, have affected your sense of taste and/or smell. It is important that you contact the doctor who did the implants as soon as possible to report on this side-effect, so that he/she can firstly explain what is going on and secondly can give you treatment if this should be necessary.
Contact the doctor ASAP

2
Posted by: Pieter | 2011/08/25

All other foods and or dairy products taste fine. Only chocolate and my favourite, brandy and coke. Coke alone tastes fine. I have tried a beer as well. And it also did not taste like it should.

Reply to Pieter

Dear Pieter
Contact the doctor ASAP