Question
Posted by: Peas | 2012/05/14

Strange Stories

Hi CS,

Hope you had a good weekend. I have a 60 year old mother who tells the most bizarre stories. Yesterday she told me that her own brother has been molesting a young family member.... She dumps all these fables on me and I am not sure how to cope with it. She said her ex-husband, my Dad has another child, born before me. So I asked him, and it is not true. I am too embarrassed to ask the other family members if the other stories are true or not. She is convinced they are true.

Any tips on how to cope with this mental illness and what is this called?

Thanks.

How do you know these are all fables ? Truth is often bizarre. OK, it does sound like rather more Awful Stories than would be true in the average family, but that doesn't make any one of them automatically untrue. She says her Ex has another child, and he denies it - either might be right. Unlces do, sadly, molest young children. But generally there's more than one person within a family who knows all the stories. Are there really NO other members of the family ( best of all, even more than one ) with whom you can discuss this and see what they think ?
Maybe they are true secrets, and as people get older and maybe a spot senile, they can become more disinhibited and inclined to tell secrets. Or they may develop a late form of psychotic illness and start becoming deluded. Or, sometimes, if they're lonely, they might invent stories to be more interesting and keep an audience. Does she remember these stories over weeks or months ? Are they consist when re-told ? Or does she forget them the next day ?
Obviously, to be more sure whether this might be any form of mental illness, after checking out her stories carefully ( if several family members insist they're not true ) she'd need to see a psycghiatrist or psychologist for a full assessment to check out other possibilities.

1