Question
Posted by: fred | 2008/09/14

strange sensation in head after stabbing

hello there.

i am experiancing a weird sensation every now and then in my head. i was attacked two months ago and was stabbed on the left side of my head, right infront of my ear and above my eye. i was taken to the hospital where they stiched me up. no x-rays.
i am a student and cant really afford to go to the doctor unless i really need to go. I thought that this might be a normal side effect but somebody said that i should get it checked out. there is no pain at all. the sensation lasts for an hour or two and it happens few times a week. its hard to explain what it feels like, my brain feels fuzzy and numb and my body feels weak, i can' t concentrate at all while it is happening. I think that the sensation is mostly on the left side of my head. Another thing is that my jaw still feels numb all the time as well (I was given a tetanus injection at the hospital). Please can you advise me on what I should do now. Thanks very much.

Dear Fred
The numb jaw could be due to an injury to one of the facial nerves. The experience you are describing could be due to concussion. You do need a full neurological evaluation and going to a general practitioner will be the cheapest option, otherwise you can go to a general outpatient department at one of the provincial hospitals.