Posted by: aggie | 2010-11-20

strange rash on hands

For about 2 weeks I have had dry patches on my hands which started off small, about 1cm diameter, pink and itchy. They became a little bit lumpy, rash like, and even itchier. Now the patches have grown bigger, 3 times the size, they are a darker red and it looks like the top layer of skin has come off. These bigger patches hardly itch any more but today I noticed 2 more small ones starting on one hand and two on on my arm, very itchy. For the past few days I have been putting bactroban cream on the patches that peeled. I think I will put it on the new patches too, or should I put on something else? Meanwhile, can I wait 18 days until I see the dermatologist (can''t get there earlier) or does this need medical attention right now?

You describe an allergic reaction or the onset of eczema of your hands. Rather use a moisturising cream that is not medicated or scented. Your dermatologist will shed more light on the cause of your rash.