Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2011/10/04

Strange " Tingly"  sensation in legs

Hi there,

I have recently committed to leading a healthier lifestyle. I started eating correctly, and as I was serioulsy obese (114kg), I started walking 5 times a week for exercise. Now 11 weeks later I have lost 24kg, and my fitness has increased to where I am able to walk/jog for 3km a day. I can usually jog for about 100m, and then walk till I am able to jog again...

The point of this long story is that the last 3 days or so I have been experiencing a wierd tingly feeling in my legs, in my thigh just above the knee and in my calves.
Someone suggested I take salt tablets as it might be from all sweating due to the increased workout.
But the tablets havent seemed to help. Its not a painful sensation, just rather odd. Feels like a " fizzing"  in my muscles, and its not just when I exercise, but all the time now - even when in bed.

Im not sure if I should continue using the salt tablets, or rather take Rehydrate, or if something else could be causing this strange sensation.
My weightloss journey is far from over, and I dont want to give up because of this strange occurance...

Any input would be most appreciated!

Hi Debbie

Good for you for committing! you've done magnificently, congratulations!

I don't think salt tablets is the answer to your problem. having said that, I'm not entirely sure what is. I know that it is NOT related to dehydration or salt loss. More likely it's due to impact and loading of the joints. If I had to guess (and this is a guess), I'd say that hte most effective thing for you would be some kind of pilates to improve the strength and control of your core. Reason I say this is that a tingling suggests nerves, and that usually implicates the lower back. And if it's happening on both left and right side, then it suggests it even more. So my stab at a guess would be that it's a neural thing, probably caused by weakness in the glutes or lower back, abdominals, and you can try to improve that with something like Pilates!

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/13

Hi Debbie

Reply to fitnessdoc