Posted by: Petrus Padda | 2009-02-09

Strange pains and numbness in my hand

Sometimes when I grip something in my left hand, there is a pain that feels like an electric shock in my thumb. It started a few weeks ago. It also appeared in the back of my hand, around the pinky and ringfinger. This is becoming quite painful. And I have almost no feeling in the skin in these areas.

I' ve heard about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Can this be it? And if so, what can be done? Can it be treated without cutting me open?

Dear Petrus Padda
This could be signs of carpal tunnel syndrome and yes you could try treating it with anti-inflammatory and physiotherapy first before considering operation. It sounds like a nerve being irritated or trapped.