Question
Posted by: Ethel. | 2009-05-19

Strange happening.

Dear Doctor.
I have always bruised very easily. But suddenly the other day, even for me the bruises were astronomical. All on my legs. A mosquito bit myself, and I scratched. Just a normal scratch. immediately I noticed that I was bleeding where I scrated. Then scratch myself lighly here and there on my legs and could see bleeding immed. under the skin. Went to the doctor and she took some blood. Tested so many things, they all came back clear and she said it must be that my veins are weak. Gave me tablets to take. BUT, i never even filled the script because just as suddenly as this started, I saw it was leaving. Now crystal clear, bruises fading, can scratch no bleeding... so what the heck was that?. My platelets came back clear and all, but literally before the test results were back I saw it was clearing, at the time it really looked terrible though, big black bruises and big red patches of bleeding?

Dear Ethel
the causes for easy bruising are low platelets, low coagulation factors, medication (disprin/warfarin/anti-inflammatories/cortisone/certain herbs like ginseng/ginko biloba, garlic/feverfew/ dongquai) and certain infections can also cause bleeding in the skin. Liver disease can cause a problem with the coagulation factors.
Dr BEts