Question
Posted by: aerdrie | 2009/10/17

Strange Diagnosis about Ovarian Cysts

Dear Doc,

I have been having a period every 2 weeks for the last 6 months. I am exhausted and have PMT half the month. I had a trans vaginal ultrasound where the gynae found multiple cysts on both my ovaries. He said we would have to try treatment otherwise operate to remove the cysts. I had blood tests done on my hormone levels &  FBC and all came back normal.

Before we could start treatment My doctor was suddenly taken very ill and I was referred to a new gynae. This guy tells me that everything is NORMAL with the cysts. He did find abnormalities in the cells in my cervix which I have had lazer treatment on. I have to come back in 6 weeks for a check up for this. He has not prescribed any treatment for the cysts and behaves as if there is no problem in this area at all.

I am so confused and stressed out! I certainly don' t feel normal. I battle everyday just to get through my day-to-day work because I' m so tired. My emotional swings are worse than someone in menopause. Constant PMS is making me crazy.

What should I do? How can two doctors have such completely contradictory diagnosis about cysts? Is it reasonable to say this is " normal" ? Should I go to yet another doctor? HELP!

I can't really help without knowing what the cysts are. They could be polycystic ovarian syndrome or they could just be normal follicles. The management would be completely different depending on what the problem is.

2