Question
Posted by: Akemi | 2008-11-18

Strange brownish stains feet and hands

My mother and I have both woken up with strange reddish-brown stains on our hands and feet on two separate occasions now. Mine was under my left foot and looked like I' d stepped in some liquid. Her foot stain was the same, just darked. Also only one foot. We also had some smalled stains on our palms. Nothin exept vigorous scrubbing with a pumice stone would remove it. This morning, it happened again. The stains were under the nails on both my hands - three nails on the left, two nails on the right. Nothing, not cutex remover or hydrogen peroxide would remove them! My mom' s were on her hands. We haven' t touched anything strange - plants etc, we haven' t stepped in or touched anything weird outside or inside the house, there' s nothing in our beds, the stains are odourless and tasteless. We' re not using new toiletries or eating anything out of the ordinary. Please help, we don' t know what this is, and my nails especially look terrible!

Akemi, Durbanville

Dear Akemi
This may be bleeding under the skin, and can be caused by high doses of aspirin or liver problems - it is difficult to guess without seeing the spots, maybe showing this to a General practitioner will shed more light on the cause?