Question
Posted by: Sasha | 2010-11-22

Strange behaviour

My 6yr old always tucks her duvet in tightly before going to bed. She goes all around the bed tucking it in from top to bottom even if it is already tucked in and then she slides in from the top. She gets extremely upset if you open up the bed for her to get in. Why does she do this?

As Liza says, it's a small ritual to help her feel more secure, and probably related to some child fear, fear of the dark perhaps or of beasties under the bed. Tell her if she'd like to discuss it with you, you'd be happy to see if there are other ways to help ; but that it's also OK if she doesn't care to talk about it just now. With not much attention paid to it, it's likely to fade out before long.

4
Posted by: Liza | 2010-11-23

It is very sad that we have people like Gkoht adding their worthless two cents. No-one needs or wants your advise. Get yourself a new hobby. Not that I need to explain to you or anyone else, we recently adopted the child. And I actually only want guidance from Cybershrink.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: gkoht | 2010-11-22

if you cant answer that question, being her mother how do you expect total strangers to help you?

wait....i can see it coming out of now where...a great flash of revelation and wisdom! why dont you ask her?

Reply to gkoht
Posted by: Liza | 2010-11-22

You shouldn''t make a big deal out of this. It probably makes her feel more secure at night. At this age she''s probably scared of the dark - which is completely normal. I used to make a nest out of my bedding before going to sleep at that age. Eventually I grew out of it.

Reply to Liza