Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-07

Strange Behaviour

Subject: RE: Strange behaviour

Good day

I wrote in a while ago about my sister. We took her to a community hospital in July sometime as her condition merely got worse. She stayed there for 2 nights, was sedated and then refered to Lentegeur hospital, where she has been since. She is visitng home on weekends, is given one fluoxtene in the morning and a haliperidol and half sedative in the evening. The doctors have discussed releasing her. She is however very concerned about her condition as we are as she was not really given a definate diagnosis. I understand that many pschiatric disorders can sometimes mask something else. Whenever we attempt to speak to the doctor, she just says she is treating the symptons and cannot provide a definate diagnosis. She did mention that my sister had smoked dagga quite often and that dagga psycosis was also suspected. Her and i both have insulin resistant metabolic syndrome and i have read somewhere that this can also cause psycotic symptoms.

Your advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

The treatment does sound a bit vague, too, so maybe the doctors are still working towards a clearer diagnosis ? Anyhow, well before discharging her an sending her homw, they should meet with you in the family, and discuss their opinion, thwe outlook they foresee for her, and advise you on how to manage her at home. COntact them to arrange this, soon. They also ought to be talking to her about the nature of her problems and how she could best deal with them.
Then you mention dagga psychosis --- really strong dagga is available in SA, and there is no question that it can in itself cause a psychosis, and / or it can cause a pre-existing condition that might otherwise never have become an obvious psychosis to blossom into a full-fledged psychotic disorder. Either way, it will be VERY important for her to never smoke dagga again. THat is a far more likely diagnosis than anything related to diabetes. The insulin resistant part of the problem makes the treatment a bit more difficult, but diabetes itself does not make anyone psychotic or cause a psychotic illness. Low blood sugar arising in the course of diabetes can make one drowsy and confused, and this may appear to be psychotic, but would be cured by geting the blood sugar levels right again