Posted by: Anon | 2009-06-12

Strange behaviour

Good day doctor

I would like to ask your medical opinion on strange behaviour from my sister recently. She is 23 years old and is currently in her 2nd year of studies I am 30 years old and am staying with my parents, we are a very close knit family. We have however recently had many problems due to financial strain. My sister started dating someone in last year, yet broke off the relationship as he was pressuring her to have sex and she claims his intentions toward her were not sincere. Since then she has not seen anyone else, concentrated on her studies and such. However, a few months ago she started saying that people were watching her and she suspects that her ex boyfriend somehow slandered her name and everyone she has met since then she has somehow linked to him. I can understand how this can be as this ex boyfriend was indeed very manipulative and unbalanced. However, now the paranoia has worsened to the extent that she says " people"  are telling her she has been brainwashed, hypnotised or given drugs, she says she is not sure. She says she has memory lapses and blackouts and is frightened she may have done things she cannot remember. Please point me in the right direction, where i could perhaps do research on mental illness. we as a family are feeling really helpless at this stage.

There could be so many possible causes for the sort of condition you describe ! Concentrate on persuading her to see a good local psychiatrist for a thorough assessment, and try to encourage the psychiatrist to ask to speak with a family member "to check background" so he would be aware of these other symptoms like the paranoia which she might not volunteer when talking with him. She may be most receptive to see a shrink ( after all, a medical doctor with special experience in things like blackouts, etc ) for asessment. A psychiatrist could check the physical posibilities, too, and may even want to sugest she see a neurologist for further tests.

Posted by: Anon | 2009-09-07

Good day

I wrote in a while ago about my sister. We took her to a community hospital in July sometime as her condition merely got worse. She stayed there for 2 nights, was sedated and then refered to Lentegeur hospital, where she has been since. She is visitng home on weekends, is given one fluoxtene in the morning and a haliperidol and half sedative in the evening. The doctors have discussed releasing her. She is however very concerned about her condition as we are as she was not really given a definate diagnosis. I understand that many pschiatric disorders can sometimes mask something else. Whenever we attempt to speak to the doctor, she just says she is treating the symptons and cannot provide a definate diagnosis. She did mention that my sister had smoked dagga quite often and that dagga psycosis was also suspected. Her and i both have insulin resistant metabolic syndrome and i have read somewhere that this can also cause psycotic symptoms.

Your advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

Kind regards