Posted by: EDCee | 2012-11-12

I am not sure if I''m in the right place or if you can even help but I am fresh out of ideas and am really worried about my father in law and don''t know which way to turn next.

He has very strange erratic symptoms - it starts with a tooth ache that gets very bad and then he cannot talk coherantly, he has memory lapses and will say he has done things which when you check he hasn''t - but he honestly believes that he has done them.
People are asking us if he''s had a stroke but there is not physical drooping or slurring of speech - except he cannot string a sentence together at times. When he is stressed or tired it is worse, and when he''s stressed he also trips a lot.
He is in his 60''s and his hearing is a problem - he wears a hearing aid (sometimes, when he remembers) but the symptoms do not change that drastically whether he is wearing it or not.
He has had an MRI - the doctor that interpretted it said there was some evidence of " mini strokes"  but went on to say that everybody has them and its not serious.
He has had a few blood tests that came back ok and has been to see a neurosurgeon who said she could find nothing. He has had several teeth extracted, including wisdom teeth but still has this tooth pain.
He was on Lyrica (a very large daily dose) for a while which seemed to improve the symptoms for a while but is no longer. He was also taking 1/2 a disprin a day which improved the symptoms briefly but is now back to the old.
With the tooth pain and inability to string a sentence together he has had pain behind his left eye - which incidently after his last " out to lunch day"  was drooping slightly.
And he has this like nerve pain behind his right ear and on the right jaw line
Please can you help me - what could we possibly be looking at as the doctors are telling us there''s nothing wrong with him, but there clearly is.

Oh by the way before i forget, there is family history of alzeheimers - but apparently no sign of dementia on his MRI and also about 14 years ago he was felling a tree which fell on him, it hit his shoulder and compressed him spine, he was on complete bed rest for 6 weeks. These symptoms however only started 5 years ago.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

He will have to consult a neurologist for a second opinion. It sounds like your father-in-law is experiencing multi-infark dementia. This is when a patient experience cognitive degeneration, due to small multiple blood clots, causing decreased blood flow to certain parts of the brain. The blood clots can be coming from his corotic artery or from his heart. It is therefore imperative to consult a neurologist, as well as an internal specialist for an ultrasound of his corotic artery and heart.

Posted by: EDCee | 2012-11-14

Thanks doc, at least now we have an idea what we are looking at. Really appreciate the advice

Reply to EDCee