Posted by: HONDA | 2008-11-03

stragel with weight

I am 45years old. All of a saden I pick up 6kg in 2months time. I am diabetes type 2. was at the doctor for test, but they find nothing rong.I tride every thing to lost weight but no sucses. can you help

Dear Honda
If you are a type 2 diabetic and have consulted a clinical dietitian and are taking your medication as prescribed and are doing exercise then you should not gain so much weight so quickly. If you have not yet seen a dietitian then please try to see one for a specific diet prescription. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission. Sticking to a low-fat, low-GI diet, taking your medications and doing exercise should stop this weight gain.