Question
Posted by: Annie | 2012/09/10

Stopping the pill

hi Doctor

i stopped yasmin in January, since then my periods have been irregular- i would only get it every 2 months or more. is this normal? i usually had a 28 day cycle?

Annie

It is not abnormal to experience an irregular menstrual cycle after you stop taking an oral contraceptive. I do however, suggest that you consult a gynaecologist for an examination. It is very difficult to treat an irregular period if there is no apparent reason, like polycystic ovarial disease etc. It is possible that you have to use a combination oral contraceptive for another three months to regulate your menstrual cycle.