Posted by: Mom | 2009-06-22

Stopping Ritalin

My son was diagnosed with ADD 2 years ago. He was very properly assessed by an education psychologist and a paedetrician (sp). He went on trial first and the improvement was unquestionable. So I don' t doubt the diagnosis. He is in grade 2 now taking 10mg.

The problem is that when he was diagnosed he was living with me. In April his father took hin away from me (in a very ugly legal battle). His father has always been very unhappy with me " making all the decisions"  about the children. He has now stopped giving my son the Ritalin. I know this for a fact because if comes off my medical aid. The last prescription was collected in April. Nothing in May and June. How will this affect the child. I am very worried - what if school become so difficult for him without the Ritalin until he drops out of school or something. Me and the father are not on speaking terms. He does not respond to my messages.

Yes, Pediatrician or Paediatrician is an awkward word, isn't it ? The responses to such medication and its cessation are so individual, it is hard to predict how i will affect your child that his father has so unwisly stopped his Ritalin ( it should at least have been decided in consultation with his Paediatrician and psychologist, and not by his unqualified father/ But he will surely not be left to drop out of school. IF he starts to again encounter problems with learning, the school would presumably report this to the father, who, one hopes, would remember the diagnosis that had been reliably made, and consider re-starting his meds. Is there anyone else with who the father is on speaking terms, with whom you could discuss this concern ?

Posted by: Mom | 2009-06-22

I don' t know " God"  - I have seen Ritalin work for my son. As I said, he was on trial first. And they don' t take it for the rest of their lives, they take it until they are 16. After that they are old enough to learn to control themselves without the pills.

Reply to Mom
Posted by: God | 2009-06-22

Drugs dont work they only make the situation worse, find an alternative solution for your son, unless you want him to trust a pill or powder for the rest of his little life

Reply to God