Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/09/20

stopping prozac

Good Evening, I am a south african living in uganda. I was prescibed 20mg of prozac while still in SA and have been taking it for about 2 years. I recently stopped taking it due to the fact that it makes me tired all day long regardless of the time of day i took it.

i feel ok - more energy definitly but the obsessive thoughts and crying spells are back and i am gaining a huge amount of weight eventhough my exercise and eating habits remain the same. this in turn depresses me even more as the prozac was treating bulima as well.

should i go back on the prozac - any advice on the tiredness or do you have suggestions for anything else i could try?

also i am suffering from joint pain - could this be caused by coming off the prozac

thank you
Lee

Quite often, Depression is a chronic or recurrent illness, thouh some of us are lucky enough to experience a single or maybe 2 discrete episodes. It is generally recommended that after 3 separate episodes, one should consider remaining on effective antidepressant medication long-term. And your mention of "obsessive thoughts" suggests there's an element of OCD as well as simple depression, and you also mention bulimia - again a reason to consider longer-term treatment.
Now, Prozac ( Fluoxetine ) might not happen to be the best medication for your particular condition, and another of the alternatives might relieve your symptoms as well or better, without the side-effect of the tiredness you found troublesome. Similarly, the weight-gain is toublesome for SOME people on different ADs, but not necessarily on all of them for everyone - again, a different med might suit you better.
The best response would be to seek a full re-assessment from a specialist psychiatrist, to take all of this into account, and try other ADs with you to see what may suit you better ( such results are not entirely predictable ahead of time )
Joint pain isn't like to be caused by coming off the prozac as such, though if the depression has returned, depression tends to amplify any pain from whatver cause.

1