Question
Posted by: Lenny | 2010/01/11

Stopping Lexamil treatment

Hi Doc,
I' ve been on 10mg Lexamil for around 14 months to help with neckspasms. I want to go off the meds now, but i' ve heard terrible stories about the withdrawal effects... As far as i understand my dose was pretty low, but i am certain i' ll still get the symptoms, since my body had severe side-effects for a week or two when i first started... Do i just half the tablets for a week or two, or maybe take a tablet every second day? Are there any other meds i can take to lessen the symptoms? Thanks!

You don'tmention what dose, so I don't of course then know how low it was. But this is really something to discuss with the doc who prescribed the drug. awful withrawal effects are not common or unavoidable, but worthy of concern - the aim will be, as I'm sure your prescribing doc will explain, to withdrawl gradually from the dose you have been on, and then you may have no untoward effects at all. Other meds to lessen the side-effects is not a practical approach here, but the sort of tapering off you mention is what is usually done

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/06/10

i was on 10mg Lexamil for a year and want to come off. My GP prescribed 5mg and i've been slowly tapering down to one every second day etc, i'm now on one every third day and it really does get easier. the best advice i can give as well is exercise - it helps

Posted by: Gerri | 2010/01/27

Posted by: Geraldine Ellis | 21/1/2010
Hi Doc,
I have been prescribed cipralex 10mg for depression and my Med Aid sent me Lexamil 10mg. Is there a major difference in the medication?

Reply to Gerri
Posted by: Geraldine Ellis | 2010/01/21

Hi Doc,

Reply to Geraldine Ellis