Question
Posted by: sweet | 2011/05/12

stopping contraceptives

I''ve been on a pill, ginette and then dianne for treating acne. my acne has now improved and i want a baby. how long does it take for the pill to wear off and how soon can i fall pregnant. my periods are back and irregular so i dont exaclty know if im ovulating or not

Dear Sweet

Using an oral contraceptive pill and then stopping it to fall pregnant wears of generally very quickly. From the second or third month after stopping the pill ones ability o conceive is usually back to normal. If however you are having irregular periods this may not necessarily be pill related and it may mean that you are not ovulating. There are a few ways to detect if ovulation is taking place, the first one is by using a commercial urine LH testing kits available at any pharmacy. Secondly you could see your doctor or gynaecologist and he can do a mid-luteal phase progesterone level, which is a blood test. And lastly serial ultrasounds can be done, so I suggest if you want to find out whether you ovulating or not start of by checking with your chemist to do a urine test on certain days of your cycle.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/05/24

Dear Sweet

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert