Question
Posted by: Quinne | 2008/05/29

stopped smoking whilst pregnant

Good day,

I am 29 weeks pregnant and I am extremely ashamed to admit that I have smoked throughout the pregnancy (I did not even cut down), I have now completely stopped - is it bad for the baby to just stop or should I have gradually cur down? Also - will it make a difference in the baby that I stopped now at this late stage? Is it not too late???

If all has been well with the baby, there should not be any new problems. It is very good that you have stopped. Stopping suddenly does not harm the baby. Stopping at any time prevents any further harm being done. Well done.

4
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/05/29

No idea why you are shouting at me??? I SAID that its better to stop now that not at all, yes damage may have already been done but its still better to stop now than not at all.

Reply to Dee GTC
Posted by: bad girl | 2008/05/29

DEE ITS TIME TO GO AND READ ABOUT THESE THINGS ! The organs and tissues of an unborn baby do not develop well because oxygen cannot be carried by the blood of a smoking mother and her unborn baby.
Babies born to smoking mothers are smaller than babies of non-smoking mothers.
Low birth weight babies are more likely to die at birth.
The presence of tobacco smoke has been found in new born babies.
Babies born to mothers who smoke get sick more often. They develop slower than babies of non-smoking mothers. They may also not do well in school in the early years.
PREGNANCY AND SMOKING

If a pregnant woman smokes there is a higher risk of:

miscarriages
start of labour before the time
bleeding for the mothe
rreduced breastmilk
Why do you want to stop smoking? Write down the reasons.
When do you feel like smoking? List the situations and then change the regular times and places (eg if you smoke after a meal then leave the table immediately after eating).
Tell your family and friends that you are quitting so that they will not offer you cigarettes.
Do not ask anybody to lend you a cigarette.
Find someone who also wants to stop so that you can support each other.
NOW QUIT!

Stop suddenly. Just frumble up the cigarettes.
Cut down the number of cigarettes each day until you have stopped.
Delay the first cigarette of the day for two hours, then longer and longer until your first smoke is in the evening. Quit the next day.
Do something else instead of smoking.
Keep your hands busy by playing with a key-ring, pen etc.
Save the money you would have spent on cigarettes and buy yourself a reward for winning against tobacco.

Reply to bad girl
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/05/29

I totally disagree, its never too late to stop and I dont believe in that BS that it puts your body into shock. Im very proud of you, I know how hard it is.

Reply to Dee GTC
Posted by: bad girl | 2008/05/29

thats not very good i think the harm have been done and stopping now will put your body in shoc seeing a dok will be good

Reply to bad girl