Posted by: SJ | 2009-08-27

Stopped smoking - side effects?

i stopped smoking 10 days ago. I used nicotine patches until toay when i stopped those too.

I have had a few problems and i am wonering if they are side effects from the stopping smoking or if i need to see my doctor?
1) I have had a runny nose since i stopped
2) i have been coughing since i stopped, coughing up little balls of icky stuff (Gross i know sorry!)
3) My throat started to hurt on monday, feels like there is something stuck in my throat, i felt back there, thinking there really might be somthing stuck back there and it feels like there is a ball on the back of my tounge in my throat it hurts to swallow, but only after 3 or 4 hours after waking up, when i first wake up it is not sore
4) i cant sleep for more than 4 or 5 hours. I go to bed and i am tired and fall asleep straight away but i toss and turn in my sleep then wake up at 3 AM fully awake and ready to go!

Dear SJ
The runny nose and coughing and sore throat can be part of the "side effects" of when you stop smoking. Smoking paralyzes the small cilia (minute hairlike structures in the airways that "sweep" the airways clean) and when you stop smoking it starts working again, getting rid of phlegm and tar in the airways. It will take about 2-3 weeks to clear. Try to drink lots of water and to eat fresh veggies and fruit to detox. Try Andolex spray/Cepacaine sucking tablets for the sore throat.
You can try 2 Biral tablets at night to help you sleep better - you can buy this over the counter at most pharmacies/Clicks.

Posted by: k | 2009-08-27

Byt vas.... jou simptome is heeltemal normaal! Elkeen reageer anders wanneer hulle ophou rook. Jou liggaam raak ontslae van al die gifstowwe.
Eet baie vrugte, groente en drink baie water - dit help.
Dink ook aan ' n goeie detoks om te help dat die gif vinniger uit jou lyf gaan.

Sterkte en wat ookal jy doen - MOENIE WEER ROOK NIE!!!!

Reply to k
Posted by: ex smoker | 2009-08-27

Hi . I quit almost 3 yrs ago (October will be 3 yrs) ,went cold turkey. Also coughed non stop. What helped was boiling water in a bowl with vicks in it. i put my head over the rising steam and covered my head and bowl with a towel. Inhaled deeply coughed up a whole lot of phlem (gross) into the water. it helped.
Also suffered from bloatedness.

Was a moody bastard for about 2 months. Started excersiing and relaxing in steam room at gym. This helped with keeping the weight down ( still picked up 10kg- it could have been worse - which i lost now )

i think we all have different symptoms when quiting. it must be the bodies way of working through the cravings.

i kept telling myself '  This too shall pass' .

it is worth it. Am feeling great now

Hang in there

Reply to ex smoker