Question
Posted by: Kim Sinclair | 2010-11-01

STOPPED SMOKING, NOW POST NASAL DRIP

I stopped smoking 21 days ago, after 25 years as an extremly heavy smoker, past two years I was on + 200 smokes a week, and am happy to say that my state of mind is great, and I have lost the desire t ever smoke again, however I am having problems with post nasal drip. Is this normal as I have a sore throst all the time.

Hallo Kim
It may be normal and will probably go away. Smoking paralyses the small "cilia" in the airways (it looks like microscopic hair, and with a sweeping motion moves phlegm out of the airways) When you stop smoking, they suddenly start working again, causing a phlegmy cough and post nasal drip. Try rinsing your nose with salt water (you can buy ready made at Clicks or make your own at home - 1 cup of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt) You can also use something like Allergex to reduce the phlegm

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010-11-01

Hallo Kim