Question
Posted by: Jenny | 2011/02/11

Stopped medication : BIpolar 2

Dear Doc,

In 2007, i was sent to a clinic and was diagnosed as Bipolar 2, i was placed on meds. Since then i have been on 9 different types of meds coz they just dont agree with me.

The side effects are terrible ranging from number one WEIGHT GAIN (30kg since 2007), rash, hair loss, abnormal hair growth, gum disease, loss of period (for 11 mnths now), insomnia, headaches, and the list goes on and on.

I decided last year end october to stop all my meds. i havnt told my phyc and i see him every 3 months. He cant even tell that ive stopped. Look, i stopped my meds once before in 2008 and i lost my head and landed up in another clinic for 2 weeks.

This time is different. its like mind over matter. I think im doing GREAT! I firmly believe that i was mis-diagnosed and i dont need the meds. Yes, ive got issues and feel depressed most days, but im not cutting anymore, no more suicide attempts, i am still para-suicidal tho, but i know i wont do anything to end my life.

I see my doc again in April. Should i tell him that ive stopped taking my meds?? Im just scared i might piss him off and he might think that i think i know better that him who specializes in Bipolar sufferers.

Well, maybe you were mis-diagnosed ( I am convinced that far too many doctors diagnose Bipolar Disorder far too readily ). And you've done very well if you have stopped cutting, and have stopped suicide attempts - that sounds rather stable. There is no point whatever, though, in seeing any doctor and lying to him ( whether by saying untrue things or avoiding telling him relevant truths ).
If you have stopped your meds and feel better and are behaving more stably - why are you going to see him at all ?

2

Posted by: !!!!! | 2011/02/11

It is a waste of time and money to see a doctor and not tell the truth!

Reply to !!!!!