Question
Posted by: worried mom | 2009-05-13

Stop winter bugs

Dear Doc
My two little ones, aged 1 and 3, are in a small private daycare facility. When I enrolled them at the school I was told that parents are not allowed to bring the kids to school if they are sick.
Ufortuantly the school is not sticking to this promise.
The result is that my little ones are constantly getting sick: coughs, runny noses and now also very bad ear infection (had to get grommits).
Please, please, please give me some advice that I can pass on to the school to limit the spread of infection.

Dear Worried Mom
The problem with flu and colds is that patients are contagious already the day before they get symptoms, that is why it spreads like wildfire in a daycare facility. Basic rules that they need to keep: Each child must have his/her own facecloth, and this should not be shared by other kids. Regular handwashing by kids and teachers, teach kids to cough/sneeze in a tissue and to throw it away (or on the upper arm - but not on the hands). You can protect your kids by giving them immuneboosters like viral choice C syrup and dressing them warmly.
See http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/tips-for-preventing-colds-and-the-flu/article16061.html