Question
Posted by: sj | 2012/03/27

Stop smoking and weight gain

Hi There Doc

i have decided to stop smoking and after a few days of cutting down i have already noticed that i have some weight gain as i keep on craving sweet stuff!!! Now the problem is that next week is the day that i have my final smoke and i am realy worried about my weight gain then. I am already a bit on the chubby side and and am struggling to loose weight after the birth of my child almost 2 years ago. My question is are there actualy any of the diet pills out there that work? I have been looking into things like the lemonade cleansing diet and the grapefruit diet they are all short term that boasts results but how healthy are thay actually?

Thanks Doc

Dear SJ
Firstly, congratulations on taking this great step towards a healthier you. Stopping smoking can be a challenge and you may initially gain some weight, but in the long run it will do you so much good, not only as regards your own health, but also the health of your child and the rest of the family. The problem that stopping smoking may make one crave for additional oral satisfaction can increase the tendency to want to nibble. Please read the article on 'Stopping smoking' by clicking on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and doing a Search for 'Stopping smoking'. You may find some additional tips that can help. While you are on the 'Diet & Nutrition' site also click on 'Weight Loss' to read about a slimming diets and all the pros and cons of slimming pills and fad diets. At the end of the day you need to reduce your energy intake by eating a low-fat diet and increase your energy output by doing exercise. Now that you are stopping smoking you will have lots more energy to be able to do exercise.
Hang in there

2
Posted by: Quitter | 2012/03/28

Just some motivation i quit 3 years ago , was chubby already , did gain and gained quiet a bit but with quitting i changed my lifestyle i follow a healthy eating plan and exercise, with the benefit of not smoking , exercise is alot easier. Anyway 3 years later i have not only lost the smoking weight but an additional 10kgs and feel great

Reply to Quitter

Dear SJ
Hang in there