Question
Posted by: kathy | 2008/06/20

Stomach woes

Dear Doctor I have pasted a copy of my previous Q & A, below for reference. I would like to ask is there any connection between the Bilary system and Colon?. Also, in december about two weeks after swallowing a barium meal, for them to see if the Nissen Repair was sucessfull, I began having labour pains and had to run up and down to the bathroom as I felt I needed to pass something, but nothing happened. This carried on for about two hours, I thought I was going to faint, was sweating profusely, and was in labour. Eventually I passed a rock hard ball shaped like a egg, that was the "barium meal". But as I said to you previously I have been having ribbon stools for a very long time already. Is this the reason that I could not pass the barium?. Was it because of a possible blockage and now while I have ribbon stools , the rock hard barium could not be accommodated? Every couple of days I take a mild laxative because my tummy is not going regularly. 24 hours later my tummy will run like water, so I basically move between the pale ribbon stools and the water. I would app. if you could direct me here, as I really, really do not want to go and have the colonscopy. From what I told you, could you say there would seem to be any good cause to suspect a blockage? other than weight loss and extreme fatigue at the end of the day, I am fine. thanks

Dear Doctor

could haemoroids cause a person to have "ribbon stools". It has been more than a year now since I had a normal stool. My stools are all pale in colour and ribbon like. I am fine, but have had severe weight loss since december. 11kg. However, I put the weight loss down to the fact that I had a Nissen Repair in december and I think my body is still adjusting to the new "stomach". I eat a lot less and dont really have a great appetite. All the tests my doctor did for thyroid, diabetes came back clear and she wants to now do a colonoscopy. But I dont want to have that done and feel the weight loss is my operation in December and the ribbon stools could be haemoroids, which I know for a fact I do have. What do you think?
Date: 9/6/2008

Subject:
Posted by: Cyberdoc
Message:
Dear Kathy
No,hemorroids would not cause pale ribbon-like stools. I agree with your doctor, rather do the colonoscopy ( they do it under anaesthetic so it is not painful or uncomfortable)and it is really important that they exclude any narrowing or tumours in bowel. Pale stools can also be caused by problems in the biliary system.

Dear Kathy

Thank you for your reply.

Please note that there is a connection between the small intestines and the biliary system. You will definately not pass a rock hard ball after a barium meal (can not pass a barium meal in the form of a rock hard ball), as it is a fluid that is given and will be passed as a fluid. It sounds like you maybe suffering from obstruction of the colon and it is therefore, imperative that you have the colonoscopy, as this may be the reason for your abnormal stools.

Kind regards